Thursday, December 29, 2011

A different dimension of training?

Greetings. My name is Tom Gerace and I have been invited to post here. I author a blog called The Things Worth Believing In. My blog focuses on what I define under the umbrella term of "warriorship"; which in essence is the sum total of topics such as; martial arts, weaponcraft, self-defense, martial philosophy, codes of conduct, fitness and so on, but with the important inclusion of "service" and "dedication to craft". The former without the latter being a "ticket puncher" and the latter without the former an "artist".

For my first post here I would like to address the issue of how you train your martial arts skills. We have all seen the difference between instruction/skill training:



and sparring or dog brother style gatherings.


These seem to stand as the two ends of the FMA training spectrum with varying degrees of skill/intensity in between, depending on how hard, fast or freestyle you intend to practice.

My friend, Guro Paul Martin and myself have been training with something of a different sort:




By incorporating the burpee, which approximates the fighting skill of the "sprawl" and induces an approximation of combat fatigue and physical stress, one can add a dimension of training that is neither strictly skill centered nor outright sparring.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective & innovative training method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, IMO the approach that you and Paul are taking toward training is excellent. It's like Martial Art meets Crossfit. I like your focus on functional strength, mobility and skill. Keep it coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice essay, Tom. I like your presentation and training format, it makes a lot of sense. Keep on working these ideas, you're on to something quite good.

    Jerome

    ReplyDelete